The U.S. population is expected to spend $7.1 billion this year for the Fourth of July, up from $6.8 billion in 2016, according to a survey released by the National Retail Federation. 88% of those surveyed plan to celebrate the summer holiday. How are retailers working to attract these 219 million Americans to THEIR stores?
In our ongoing coverage of the German grocery store, Lidl, entering the U.S., we reviewed their 3rd circular. It runs from Thursday, June 29th to Wednesday, July 5th and like it’s first two circulars, the ad features 32 pages of discounts. The theme of this specific circular is “Star Spangled Deals” and several of the pages are devoted to products for July 4th picnics and cookouts. Some other points worth noticing about Lidl’s third circular in the U.S. are as follows:
- This circular devotes unique promotions to five departments. Grocery represents 45% of unique promos while general merchandise accounts for 42%. Sporting goods (5%), health & personal care (4%) and non-food grocery (4%) are also featured.
- Several national brand products are shown in this week’s Lidl circular, including Bud Light and New Belgium beer, Pillsbury Stars & Stripes cake mix, Jolly Rancher gelatin, Taylor Farms veggie trays and more.
- Top categories in this week’s circular include meat (12 unique promos), frozen (11 unique promos), and storage/organization, lawn/garden and women’s apparel (seven unique promos a piece).
- Lidl’s “Fresh 5” promos for Thursday to Sunday of this period, shown on page four of the circular, include St. Louis style pork spare ribs, black angus ground beef, strawberries, corn and lemons.
- “Fresh 5” promos leverage % Off offers, which range from 17% off ground beef to 50% off strawberries and corn this week. A customer who purchased all 5 items would save a total of $2.79 versus Lidl’s regular prices for these items.
- Prominent general merchandise items featured in this circular include a 450 watt juicer for $32.99 on page two, as well as a $12.99 curling wand, $18.99 angle sander and $7.99 designer power bank (mobile USB charger) featured on page three.
- In this circular, Lidl features an average of 4.4 ad blocks per page and an average of 4.9 unique promotions per page, both of which are low percentages in comparison to other grocery competitors.
Source: Market Track Promotional Data
We will continue to follow Lidl's progress in the U.S., and how they compare to their competitors. Subscribe to our daily blog to get these updates delivered right to your inbox.